A few months ago, I was thrilled to discover a sequel had been released for one of my favorite cookbooks: The Forest Feast for Kids. Of course I had to grab a copy for Maika. To my delight, my 7-year old daughter immediately asked to try out some of the recipes. Whoop!
Maika opted for the fall Sweet Potato Pizza for her main, and the Blueberry Sparkler for drinks. We figured that would be plenty for her first attempt at cooking dinner for the family.
Sweet Potato Pizza
- 13oz store bought pizza dough
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- sweet potato slices
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
1. Slice a small sweet potato into 1/4" rounds and boil for 5 minutes, or until soft. (no need to peel)
2. Roll and lay out pizza dough on a greased bakin gsheet and top with olive oil, cheese, rosemary and sweet potato slices.
3. Bake according to package instructions or for 15-20 minutes at 425ºF or till golden brown.
It was fun to get our hands dirty together.
While the pizza was in the oven, Maika set to work making the blueberry sparklers (seltzer water, frozen blueberries and berry juice.)
And she made menus!
And finally, the pizza is ready! Maika was pretty excited to do the honors.
If you haven't introduced your kids to the kitchen, I'd say don't wait! We had so much fun cooking this easy dinner recipe together, and it was pure joy to see the pride on Maika's face when it all came together.
Here's to more celebrations and cooking adventures, together!